30 Sep PRESS STATEMENT NO. 18 OF 2021: REGISTRATION OF NEW MEDIA HOUSES
At the meeting of 14th September 2021, the Zimbabwe Media Commission (ZMC) Board of Commissioners considered and approved for registration eight (8) media houses publishing various publications both at national and community levels. The registration of the eight media houses brings the total of registered mass media houses to 170. Some of the registered mass media services have failed to go to print due to a number of challenges, chief among them being the operating economic environment.
The Commission desires to register more media services, a scenario that will result in citizens accessing a diverse menu of news and information. This is in sync with the National Development Strategy and Vision 2030 as well as the United National (UN) goal of “universal access to information”.
The registration of community publishers shows the Commission’s commitment to play its role in promoting access to information and media services in marginalised communities in line with the devolution agenda enunciated in NDS1. Local publications in local languages will bring their communities and audiences closer to the national development agenda as their voices and aspirations will find space in the media.
The media houses that were registered include the following;
- The Billion Group: The directors of the media house are Uebert Angel Senior (who is the Presidential Envoy and Ambassador at large to the Americas and Europe) and Beverly Uebert Angel. The media house intends to publish a daily newspaper titled The Daily Mail Zimbabwe whose editorial focus is general news and information. The mass media service will also be publishing a monthly magazine titled Africa Influencers Magazine which will focus on young Influencers in fashion and business.
- Next Level Media Group Pvt Ltd: The directors of the media house include Albert Tawanda Mavunga, Reuben Tawanda Mbasera and Mqondisi Ignations Nzipo. The media house intends to publish a regional newspaper titled Mashonaland Post. The regional paper will cover community news, sports, religious and traditional matters within the Mashonaland Provinces.
- Ataraxia Communications (Pvt) Ltd: The media house whose directors are Tapuwanashe Dube and Matiropafadza Mashango intends to publish two monthly magazines titled Security Insight and Farming Guide. The media house will also run an online publication titled Student Times.
- Gemlands Enterprises Pvt Ltd: The media house whose sole director is Mr. Innocent S. Ncube intends to publish an online platform focusing on daily news, monthly documentaries, short films and music entertainment.
- Rawsoot Studios: The directors of the media house are John Sinchuke and Vimbai Sinchuke. The media house intends to venture into video production, photography and online media.
- The News Hawks: The directors of the media house include Dumisani Muleya, Beatrice Mtetwa, Douglas Coltart and Raphael Khumalo. The media house, whose registration was initially approved early this year, mainly focuses on investigative journalism and publishes news that focuses on the government, non-governmental organizations, academia, business and the diplomatic community.
- Fig Multimedia Tech Pvt Ltd: The media house, whose application was initially approved early this year pending ratification by the Board, intends to provide electronic news gatherings for China Global Television Network(CGTN) as well as producing documentaries, corporate videos and content that will feed into some television stations. The directors of the media house include Asa Gurupira, Leopold Njobo and Stanley Tsopotsa.
- Jewel Multimedia: The directors of the media house include Chiratidzo Malinganisa, Africa Moyo and Okondedwa Malinganiza. The media house intends to publish a monthly magazine titled EDevolution which focuses on the devolution thrust being espoused by President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Statement Issued on 29 September 2021